- What is VPS/VDS?
VPS (Virtual Private Server)/VDS (Virtual Dedicated Server) is a virtual private server, which constitutes an independent part of the physical server. There may be several or even several dozens of such virtual machines, depending on the number of users sharing one physical server.
With VDS hosting, you can install any operating system or software, while the virtual machine may be configured and restarted independently of other machines hosted on the same server.
Noteworthy, that despite the difference in the service name, VDS and VPS hosting are identical, even though some companies in Ukraine present them as different technologies.
- How to select VPS/VDS?
When choosing VDS hosting, pay attention to the following parameters:
- Virtualization type (Xen, OpenVZ, Windows VPS, KVM and others).
- Technical specifications (disc space and RAM, drive type: HDD or SSD, geographic location of servers, bandwidth).
- Control panel (cPanel, ISP, Webuzo and others).
In addition, if you are looking for a shared VDS in Ukraine, make sure your hosting company offers enough plans and additional services.
- Who needs VPS/VDS?
VDS is good for large web projects for which web hosting capacities are not enough:
- large e-commerce websites;
- corporate portals with remote access to employee mail, accounts, and more;
- resources with high rates of attendance (from several thousand unique visits a day);
- web studios hosting multiple websites.
If your website is relatively small, you don’t need VDS hosting, as shared hosting will be quite enough for basic tasks.
- What is the difference between the VDS server and shared hosting?
Key differences between VDS and shared hosting:
- Full root access and SSH access.
- Guaranteed resources (RAM, disc space, storage).
- The ability to install any software, for instance, non-standard app libraries.
- Flexible hosting settings, the ability to optimize allocated resources for each separate project.
- Your personal IP (with VDS, you can have more than one IP for an additional fee).
- No limits (websites, databases, mailboxes, FTP accounts) within a selected plan.
- What is the difference between VDS and a physical server?
A physical server is owned by one user, whereas VDS is created on the basis of the physical server. Simply put, all server capacities are divided into several parts, each owned by a specific owner.
- What is root access and why do I need it?
Root is the main account in UNIX systems. The root user (or superuser) has all rights provided by the system. Because of this such user can fulfil any commands and make changes to system configurations, thus obtaining full control over a virtual dedicated server.
- What is the difference between SSD and HDD?
VPS hosting can operate on two types of drives:
- SSD (Solid State Drive) – a new type of drive – is a solid-state drive without moving parts. High speed of reading, recording and access to data is ensured through the absence of mechanical elements.
- HDD (Hard Disk Driver) is a device used to store information through magnetic recording technology. Today, HDDs are hardly used by holding companies, as they are significantly inferior to their modern analogs – SSD
Companies around the globe prefer SSDs for VPS. Ukraine is no exception, as this drive type allows offering high-class services.
- What drives are used for VPS/VDS by NetX hosting?
NetX hosting operates based on SSDs.
- What types of VPS/VDS virtualization are offered by NetX hosting?
When you buy a VPS/VDS, you can select two types of virtualization:
KVM is a hardware virtualization technology that emulates all virtual machines, processor storage, etc. This ensures the possibility to install not just Linux, but any OS chosen by the user. Benefits of KVM:
- Fair distribution of resources: every VDS gets some space on the hard drive and in the operating system, which improves server reliability. In addition, other users will not be able to use these resources for themselves.
- This technology allows isolating a virtual dedicated server by making its operation fully automatic, independent of other virtual machines..
- The risk of failure of the shared core is eliminated.
OpenVZ is an OS-level virtualization technology based on the Linux kernel, without the dedicated server emulation. Only Linux distributives can be installed on such VPS/VDS. Benefits of OpenVZ:
- Low price.
- Performance is better than on shared hosting..
- Dynamic resource management.
- Is there a trial for VPS/VDS?
No, there is no trial for a virtual dedicated server.
- How can I buy VPS/VDS?
First, sign up for a NetX account. Then go to the VPS plan selection page and press “Order” opposite the plan that meets your web project’s needs:
- Select your payment cycle: payment for a month/quarter/six months/year/2 years.
- Select country of the server location: the Netherlands, Ukraine.
- Choose your control panel: no panel, BrainyCP (free), ISP Manager Lite 5 (monthly license), cPanel (monthly license).
- Select virtualization type: OpenVZ or KVM.
- Choose your operating system.
If you have a promo code, enter it to activate your discount before proceeding to checkout and completing your purchase.
- Do I need any documents to buy VPS/VDS?
No, just as for the purchase of regular hosting in Ukraine, to rent a virtual dedicated server, no specific documents are needed.
- Can I change my plan later?
Yes, you can select another hosting plan if you need more or less resources later. You can switch to a new plan before the end of the period you paid for. For this, pay the remaining fee amount (when switching to a more expensive plan).
- Can I buy additional disc space and RAM for VPS/VDS?
No, you can’t buy additional disc space or RAM. If you need more resources, select a plan with more capacities.
- Do you back up?
No, NetX hosting does not back up data on VPS.
- Where are Netx servers located?
Netx servers are located in three countries: the Netherlands, Ukraine.
- How many websites can be hosted on the VPS/VDS?
Unlike shared hosting, the number of websites on VPS/VDS is unlimited. You can add web projects until the resources of your virtual dedicated server are exhausted.
- How much does an additional IP cost?
The cost of one additional IP on NetX hosting is 1 EUR a month. No more than 10 IPs can be allocated to one dedicated server.
- Can a VPS/VDS owner use technical support services?
Unlike users of regular hosting, VDS owners can have their basic administration-related issues fixed. If you need something more complex, you can pay for additional works, starting at $10/hour.